Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Mother's Day Cakes

This cake is a devil's food cake that was jazzed up with a dozen crushed oreos mixed with (and forgive me for being so specific with these technical measurements, but that's how it goes in my kitchen) a mountain of buttercream icing (note specific procedural term) shoved between the layers, which made it yummy for the tummy when we finally sat down and devoured it Mother's Day night at my parent's house.

The gum paste flower known in the Wilton World of Flowers is called a Fantasy Flower because you aren't ever going to run into one of these suckers out in the woods. However, they're a head-turner.

I used Wilton's garden colors to color the fondant and am hooked on the sage green, delphinium blue, white and pink combos. They are sooo shabby chic.

I made a six inch cake just like this with my leftover batter for my future mother-in-law. I tied a few yards of tulle around the brim and tied bows and it looked just like a spring hat. They don't eat many sweets at that house so a six inch cake was just right.

Sorry, but I don't have a picture of that one, but it was very similiar--just smaller.
I think small fondant cakes made to look like spring hats would be an adorable sweet alternative for Easter dinner dessert. Meanwhile, it would make a great centerpiece for the table. You could even put a basketweave impression on the brim to make it look like a straw hat.
So many cakes! So little butter!

No comments:

Post a Comment