Friday, June 20, 2008

Going to Pot

Sorry it has been so long since I have written but the end of May begins gardening season here in Central PA. My friend, Linda, has been sharing her wonderful perennials with us this spring as we build new flower beds here at the house and I was pleased to learn that she would have use for some cute little cakes as Thank You gifts and Birthday Remembrances, so I got to experiment hoping to be able to reciprocate a little. Of course, being two gardeners in early summer, I felt compelled to stick to the theme.

Call me Dr. Frankenstein, but I was a mad woman (as if that's different for me) in the kitchen one night baking cakes in real flower pots after failing to make a fondant flower pot. Live and learn. Even I have my share of dismal failures but this particular one led to a wonderful discovery of a new line of items--my new unique flower pot cakes.

Now, I have to warn you that the flower pots are real, the cakes inside are real and the flowers are made with sugar gum paste, but I wouldn't eat the pot or the flowers as they would be waaaaay too crunchy. You can eat the cake but these little pots are so cute, how could anyone rip them apart for a snack? It would break my heart.



Linda received three pots to give out as gifts: One pot had rose buds, the second had open roses with a "fantasy flower" and the final pot had sugar gum paste daisys with blue forget-me-nots and (in true gardener fashion) a token worm. I weighed the appetizing factor against the cuteness factor before adding the worm and they cancelled themselves out to a neutral on the Gross-Me-Out Meter. The worm stayed.

As a finishing touch, Linda added gardening ID tags to her pots and wrote her messages of Thank You and Happy Birthday on them.

Yeah, I am now a pot(s) pusher.


6 comments:

  1. I came over here from Cake Wrecks [the horror :O]
    Congratulations on making it to the Sunday Sweets. Your cake pots are adorableee. You must mention how you made them.
    Your entire blog is great. You make really cute stuff :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. stumbled in from Cake Wrecks (Sunday Sweets). That rose cake is to die for! I absolutely adore it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for stopping by! I am thrilled to be so honored by all of the attention. When I saw I was on Cake Wrecks a shiver went down my spine, but, whew! it was a nice picture of the flower pot cakes and can be viewed here: http://cakewrecks.blogspot.com/2009/05/sunday-sweets-for-mom.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. these are beautiful. You seem talented enough to make the whole thing edible.
    I used to be a Chef, and one rule of show-plates was it all had to be edible. If you played around with the idea, i'm sure your mad skills could do the pots and flowers out of fondant and icing.
    that would be even more fantastic.!
    Great artistic talent. Keep it up.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The only thing is that they look so nice I would never be able to bring myself to eat them!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is amazing. I really love this idea. I agree that I am sure that you could get all of this to be edible. It would take considerably longer than before but it could be done. I must say that you have done an amazing job on the flowers making them look so real. Great job.

    ReplyDelete